Xmods-planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Xmods-planet

The place for Xmods, and cars!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Im going to work on the site some.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Xmod_Freak
Admin
Xmod_Freak

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Im going to work on the site some. Empty
PostSubject: Im going to work on the site some.   Im going to work on the site some. Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 4:29 pm

Ok, so I had the site reviewed,

I will post the actual review message at the bottom of this thread.

But one thing that they said would help out our site immensly is our members posting. He said that the admins and moderators are looked up upon by members. And we need to set an example for the members.

So please just get posting. And dont make stupid 3 word sentences. Try your best to write everything in complete sentences.

And if you cant do that, just Put the study smiley at the end, and me or someone else withh write your sentence in complete form.

We just need to inhance our intelectual abilities, and show the members we are a good influence to look up too.

So just take that into consideration.... Heres the review

Train wrote:
First Impressions
The forum looks very "neat" in that, it appears to be very defined on first glance at what the forum is about, if you do a little sifting. An immediate notation was the theme appears to be very "clean", almost too clean. The pages seem to be mainly content oriented, and don't return many ads, a definate plus when on a forum.

Look

Guest's Outlook:
One of the things I noticed while browsing the site was that navigation wasn't very well defined for guests to use. I spent a good minute or so finding a regular forum index link titled "Index" in the portals left hand side. Upon further inspection it appears that "Home" links to the forum too, but these are not well defined.

The layout appears to be a bit too sharp for a normal guests liking. The grey and shade of red used tend to clash a bit, especially with the background. I'd think about toning the red down just a tad, and maybe darkening the background a little bit. The category bars are a bit intrusive on the portal, but this isn't too much of an issue as most text is able to be read still.

Logos and Banners:
The banner is very appealing, however, the space put forth between the banner and the content is a bit much. The logo in use is very slick, and I do applaud you for such a unique logo design.

Quantity of Forums:
There seem to be a bit more forums than what there should be, some forums are hardly active or could be compressed into one forum. For example, the Questions, and FAQ's Forums could be compressed into one. I'm not sure that the "Buy Sell Trade" forum requires it's own category as well. All in all, there are a pretty good number of inactive forums with either 1 topic, or no topics. I would try and reduce these forums for now and only use them if they are in demand and/or show promise to be active.
A quick glance at the forum, the topical forums are below the general rules, announcements and such but introductions seems to take priority over the topics at hand as well.

I would definately work on elaborating a bit on the descriptions, some of the forums don't even have a description at all, which can make it very confusing for a new user to the forums. It appears most of the forums with no description are the ones that are not doing well at all.

Advertisements:
There are a few advertisements, mainly on the portal page, the remainder of the pages have simple text links on the footer, definate kudos for keeping the ads down. It appears you have some ads which appear in a blank space in the header, these are un-noticable at the moment, and appear as a large gap. All in all, advertising appears to be kept neat or at a minimum.

Color Scheme and Styles:
As said earlier, the skin colors tend to bleed just a little bit. They clash with the background and other colors on the board. Toning the red shade a bit would help dramatically in itself, right now it appears to be a slight eye sore. Otherwise the colors look "doable", I would revise and adjust the status colors accordingly however, when and if you change the red color scheme, again a clash can turn people away fairly quickly.

Page and Image Sizes:
As also mentioned earlier, there is quite a space between where your content begins and where your header ends due to the ads. I was very pleased to see that the homepage was snipped to exactly what was needed, and what you want your users to see first. No images seem to be excessively large, so that helps users a lot too. Great job!

Favicon, Buttons, and Other Graphics:
The most conflicting thing I noticed image wise, was that the forum status icons are rather large in dimensions. These should probably be reduced a little bit in size. The other immediate note was the background, which is minor at this time, but I would highly suggest fixing it so it blends with the site, and fades accordingly to make the design more fluid and clean.

Feel

Theme:
Most of the sites content appears to spent outside of the topical forums the most used forums being Introductions and General Chat. However, the content seems to vary, some of it appears to be unique with some rather high quality posts, but other parts of it seem to lack quite a bit. I would suggest trying to promote these forums a bit more be setting some examples of higher-end posts.

The idea behind the forum is very pronounced, but I don't think it's displayed, established, or promoted as well as it could be. There's definately a lot of potential, the members just look like they could use some examples.

Sense of Community and Participation Overview:
There's some ups and downs, starting with the ups.
It appears that the site, despite having inactive forums, has few 0 replied to threads and topics, which is quite impressive, despite the low post count on the forum.

The down side, is very obvious apparently to some of your members, and I must say it was a bit of a disappointment is that the site seems quite inactive. It appears that users get online (it looks like about 5-9 a day)...a few of them staff, but don't seem to toss any activity into the bucket for it.

Postcount and Quality:
The average post count seems to be relatively low between members. There are a few shorter posts, but it seems to balance itself for the most part. It does appear that the off topic forums are outweighing the topical forums, I can say that moderation seems to be dealt with effectively.
Some ideas to improve the post count is to identify some other interests of your members, in relation to the topics, and then try and get them to put forth some interest, you can't force someone to post, but you can try to tend to their wants. As for quality content, sometimes members need a push in the right direction, I would suggest finding some more fufilling content, or making it from scratch and posting it up for your member to read and review. Encourage detailed and quality posts, maybe setup a rewards system sort of thing to help tice members to post, good, quality, topics.

Contests, Games, and Diversions:
It appears there are a few contests that have come and gone, they look like they had a little success. There don't seem to be many diversions, and while that can be a good thing, it isn't always. I would recommend an arcade, but in the situation of the forum, with limited games. You may be able to spark up some comptetition between members, and evolve the experience of your forum into user interaction, more than just enthusiast interaction.

Management

Points of Registration:
There doesn't seem to be any inticing to get members to join on the homepage, or the forum index. I would suggest adding a little snippet summarizing the benefits, and perks of joining. It may get people to come back and join in. Something like "no ads", since ads don't appear for logged in users, always gets people to come running!

Rules, FAQ, and Privacy Policy:
While the rules are very entertaining to read, I believe there's some evidence of potential advocation that is not looked for in a family site as it claims to be. "If you treat people like crap, guess what? You get treated like crap." That seems a bit of a welcoming offer for fist fights on the forum, I would reword this, perhaps to "Remember the golden rule." or something along those lines.

The FAQ appears to be the generic phpBB type, but as there are not many additional features to the board, I don't see this as a problem.

A problem I do see is that there are no apparent privacy policies, explaining to the user how information provided is used, an absolute essential on the web these days. Your privacy policy should state some information about what is done with collected information, why it is required, and when it used, if at all.

Quantity and Activity of Staff:
4 Staff members, and every single one of them is active, that's great to see. There's a pretty good shift right now with members at their present level, so I wouldn't suggest any changes to quantity of staff in any way.
I think that the staff could be a bit more active post wise. Remember, you guys are the tip of the ice berg on this forum, people look up to you, go out there and show em how it's done.

Overall Impressions
Well, you definately do have some work to do. But, I do think that if you take a few steps to try and step out into the community and try and get it going somewhere, you will see your forum grow in no time flat. People want that sense of communication, and if you show it, they will come. Try not to let members get you down, stir up some commotion with what you have now, and let the users do the rest. I think you and your admins are doing all the right things, but you aren't quite sure that they're right yet. Keep at it!
Back to top Go down
https://xmods-planet.forumotion.com

Im going to work on the site some.
Page 1 of 1